Intra-District NEW Student Transfer Process
HOW TO APPLY
All NEW transfer requests are accepted by the Department of Administrative Services. Application can be found HERE. Parent/Guardians must complete all fields on the front page and sign.
WHO CAN APPLY
Parents/Guardians of students enrolled in BISD can submit a transfer request.
WHEN TO SUBMIT
Transfer requests must be submitted during the transfer window beginning May 1st through May 31st. Requests made after May 31st will be considered during the first 2 weeks of school.
Administrative Services approves or denies transfer requests in collaboration with Principals. The current Principal completes verification of qualifying criteria. The receiving campus Principal completes verification of space availability.
Request approval or disapproval for the upcoming school year will be communicated by June 16th. Requests made after May 31st will be considered in August and during the first 2 weeks of school with notification taking place by the third week. The Department of Administrative Services communicates the decision to the parent/guardian and Principals by preferred method of communication (email or U.S. mail).
REQUIREMENTS CONSIDERED FOR APPROVAL
Transfers are only considered when one of the following needs occur:
- Extenuating hardship
- Parent/Guardian is BISD employee at the same campus or a BISD employee with extenuating hardship
- Moved outside of the boundary lines but want to complete semester or school year
- Student is from a designated P.E.G campus (To: Beutel, Brannen, Fleming, Griffith, Ney, Roberts, Rasco, LJIS, Brazosport or Brazoswood)
- Interest in having child participate in the elementary STEM Program
Applicant must give a detailed explanation for transfer request in the box provided. Qualifying criteria will be considered.
Administrative transfers are determined by school personnel and the sending campus is responsible for completing the transfer paperwork and obtaining parent/guardian’s signature. Reasons for Administrative Transfers include: special programs, special education, bilingual, class size, and other as required by law or deemed essential by Administrators.
Transportation is provided for Administrative Transfer students ONLY. Parents/Guardians will assume transportation responsibility for non-administrative transfer students.
- Attendance: Meets 90% for the previous semester and the most recent grading period, including tardies
- Attitude/Behavior: Student is exhibiting appropriate conduct and work habits
- Parental Cooperation: Parent/Guardian is supportive and cooperative with school staff
REASONS FOR RESCISSION OF TRANSFER
Student transfers will be evaluated for continuation by the campus Principal each spring. A decision to not renew may be made if the student does not:
- Obey all school rules and regulations as listed in the BISD Student Code of Conduct
- Attend school regularly with 90% attendance for the previous semester and the most recent grading period including tardies
A transfer can also be rescinded if a parent does not cooperate with school staff or if they falsify information for the purpose of transfer approval. Parent/Guardians may be punished under the Texas Penal Code, Chap. 37 Sec. 37.10 for falsified information. It is important to note that the District will not hire additional staff, provide additional classroom space, or apply for a class size waiver in order to accommodate transfer students. Therefore, student transfers may be revoked if there are unexpected increases in student enrollment.