Out of District NEW Student Transfer Process
HOW TO APPLY
Complete and submit the application form found on this page. Forms are also available at all BISD campuses and the Administration Building. Parents/Guardians must complete all fields on the front page and sign. Forms are returned to the Department of Administrative Services.
WHO CAN APPLY
Parents/Guardians of students living outside the BISD boundaries can submit a transfer request. However, we do not accept Pre-K transfers from outside the district.
WHEN TO SUBMIT
Transfer requests must be submitted during the transfer window beginning May 1st through May 31st. Requests made after May 31st will be considered in August and during the first 2 weeks of school.
Administrative Services approves or denies transfer requests in collaboration with Principals. The receiving campus Principal completes verification of qualifying criteria and verification of space availability.
Request approval or disapproval for the upcoming school year will be communicated by June 16th. Requests made after May 31st will be considered in August during the first 2 weeks of school, with notification taking place by the third week. The Department of Administrative Services communicates the decision to parent/guardians and Principals by preferred method of communication (email or U.S. mail).
REQUIREMENTS CONSIDERED FOR APPROVAL
Transfers are only considered when one of the following needs occur:
- Extenuating hardship
- Parent/Guardian is BISD employee at the same campus or a BISD employee with extenuating hardship
- Moved outside of the boundary lines but want to complete semester or school year
- Interest in having child participate in elementary STEM Program
Applicant must give a detailed explanation for transfer request in the box provided. Qualifying criteria will be considered.
Transportation is not provided for out of district transfer students.
- Attendance: Meets 90% for the previous semester and the most recent grading period, including tardies
- Attitude/Behavior: Student is exhibiting appropriate conduct and work habits
- Parental Cooperation: Parent/Guardian is supportive and cooperative with school staff
REASONS FOR RESCISSION OF TRANSFER
Student transfers will be evaluated for continuation by the campus Principal each spring. A decision to not renew may be made if the student does not:
- Obey all school rules and regulations as listed in the BISD Student Code of Conduct
- Attend school regularly with 90% attendance for the previous semester and the most recent grading period including tardies
A transfer can also be rescinded if a parent does not cooperate with school staff or if they falsify information for the purpose of transfer approval. Parent/Guardians may be punished under the Texas Penal Code, Chap. 37 Sec. 37.10 for falsified information. It is important to note that the District will not hire additional staff, provide additional classroom space, or apply for a class size waiver in order to accommodate transfer students. Therefore, student transfers may be revoked if there are unexpected increases in student enrollment.